Sunday, September 5, 2010

Lake Chelan girls' trip

My friend Jennifer lives in Chelan, a town on Lake Chelan, about 3 hours west of where we live. The week after returning from Utah, the girls and I packed our bags and headed to Chelan to stay with Jen and her girls at their lake house (as opposed to their house-house, which is also on the lake, lucky ducks) for one last hurrah before summer came to an end.

Jen's email about what to pack said something like "Bring pajamas, swimsuits, and pillows. That's about all you'll need." And it was. We never got in the car or put on shoes the whole time we were there. It was just a whole lot of playing in the lake and keeping our lounge chairs from floating away.


Madeline paddled this tube around for hours every day. Her shoulders and arms were sore when we were driving home. And she think she might need a kayak now.

I'm pretty sure we solved all the world's problems from those lounge chairs. Hasn't your life improved over the last few weeks? That was our doing.

And the frogging. Oh, the frogging. The first night the kids found some big bullfrogs, and Madeline and Ella were obsessed with them after that.

Amelia held this little guy just long enough to get a photo of her being brave, and then I'm pretty sure she squealed and asked Maddie to take him quick.

Amelia and Celia took on the jobs of guarding the bucket while Madeline and Ella were out froggin'--they'd push them back in with a paper plate when the little guys tried to climb out.
(No frogs were harmed in the writing of this blog post. All frogs were released into their natural habitats within hours of being caught. They were, however, given names like Dave and Greg and Macie.)

One funny story about the frogs. Madeline and I slept out on the sleeping porch, which was every bit as heavenly as it sounds. Laying in bed we could hear the gentle lapping of waves and see the moon and stars through the window screens. The first night after catching frogs, Madeline could think of nothing else. Just as I was falling asleep around midnight, Maddie said, "Mom, can I go down to the lake to just see if the frogs are still there? Please?" I told her to shut her brain off and go to sleep.

The next morning Jennifer told me that she'd gotten up to use the loo around 1:30 and Madeline scared her to death--creepy kid standing in the dark doorway looking outside at the lake in the middle of the night. I asked Maddie about it and she said she was just watching for frogs and listening to the waves.

We had a fantastic time visiting Jen and her girls. It was so relaxing and the perfect end to our crazy summer.


3 comments:

JenB said...

looks like a blast! love frogs!

Mrs. Polley said...

The best week of my summer...so glad you guys could finally visit! Next time, we'll have to invite the boys!

Jodi said...

Looks so fabulous.