Thursday, September 2, 2010

Utah

(This is the street I grew up on. Isn't it gorgeous?!)

Our trip to Utah this summer was planned around Kolby's 20 year high school reunion. Let me tell you, nothing makes me feel old like being in a room full of people who look just like I remember their parents looking when I was in high school. Seriously, some of Kolby's classmates looked exactly like their parents did 20 years ago. Weird. Especially because I haven't changed a bit. Ha.

So we went to Utah in August, fully expecting 100 degree temps, but were instead greeted by cooler temps and daily thunderstorms. It was heavenly.

The first few days were a little emotional with Caidence, my sister Michelle's 2 year old, being diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. They spent three days up at Primary Children's Hospital learning how to take care of her, and I just have to say, my sister Michelle is amazing. She is so calm and cool and such a good mommy. Her calm demeanor has helped Caid adjust to her new lifestyle so quickly.

Caid, the day before she was diagnosed, clearly feeling crummy. She even threw an icecream cone across the room. Who does that? Kids without any insulin on board, that's who.

But that meant we got to take baby Jordyn to the cabin with us, and Jordyn is the most perfect baby, the kind of baby who sleeps 13 hours her first night at the cabin where no baby has ever slept through the night.
Forgot the right shoes for the cabin? No worries. Nothing Grandpa and a little duct tape can't fix.
We had a great time at the cabin watching thunderstorms, riding 4-wheelers, catching toads, and eating lots. Because that's what you do at the cabin.

We also took the kids to Lagoon, which I'm pretty sure they enjoyed as much as Disneyworld. The girls were wondering why we'd been holding out on them for the last 10 years. You can see the big ferris wheel from Kolby's mom's new house, so I'm sure we'll make up for lost time on future visits. Kolby and the kids rode every roller coaster and puke-inducing ride in the park at least once, with the company of most of the brown people in the family (Ana, Adrian, and Kalee). I forgot my Wonder Woman bands and got sick on my second roller coaster ride, so I had a lovely time taking my nephew Aidan on the kiddie rides.

We also suffered through enjoyed a photo session with the whole Blackham-Bailey fam-damily. Photos to come.

And at a party with the Eldredge's we had our own spontaneous groping photo session with all of my siblings and spouses. This is the only photo where all the boys had their hands where they belonged, which is why we don't ever pay to have our family photo taken professionally.
It was a different trip: Mom and Dad both working, Clay and Courtney busy with wedding stuff, cousins in year round school, and Pam and Rex living in their new house in Farmington. But it's always good to see family! Love you all!


3 comments:

Michelle said...

That picture of Caid makes me so sad! But I'm glad Jordyn was such a trooper! It was fun to see you guys!

Jodi said...

Ahhhh, come back! Makes me so sad that it's already over. Nothing to look forward to for a long time now. I think you guys should come here for Halloween:)

Courtney said...

Wish we could have spent more time with you guys! Guess you'll have to come back soon- next time we'll have grass!