Thursday, June 10, 2010

The mighty hunter

A few weeks ago our male kitty, Willow, caught a bird and brought it in the house to show all of us. He strutted around, purring like a motor boat, with the feathers and feet hanging out of his mouth, making sure that we all got a good look before he devoured it.

For some reason we were all incredibly proud of him. But only the first time.

Since then he's brought in two more birds, but he's decided he's not a big fan of eating them...he just likes killing for sport. Luckily, he leaves a trail of feathers so I am at least alerted to the fact that there is a dead thing in my house needing attention.

But last night Willow stepped up his game. Baby birds are easy. They don't put up much of a fight. But mice? Now that is something worth catching.

That was just the beginning. It was like watching a torture scene in an episode of "24."

5 comments:

Michelle said...

How are you not screaming and jumping around at the sight of a mouse? I was up on my counter so fast when I saw one in mine. And I'm shocked I haven't seen any in the "old house" yet.

Jodi said...

I can't decide which is worse - having a mouse in your house or watching your cat eat it...

JenB said...

I don't know why the mouse didn't make a break for it (was it already injured?). Did kitty bring the mouse in (no no kitty!) or catch it already in? (good kitty!)

Jami said...

I do not know if the mouse was found inside the house, or outside, which is why I didn't want to take it away from him. If it's from inside, then good boy! Keep on catching them. I will gladly clean up the aftermath as long as they learn our house is not friendly to their kind. If it's from outside....crap.

And Willow never actually drew blood in front of us--just flipped and swatted and played with that thing for HOURS. Which is probably why it wasn't fighting anymore. But when he was alone, he thought he'd see what mouse tasted like. It seems he wasn't a fan of that either.

Jami said...

Oh, FYI I brought out the big guns for disinfecting. No organic, earth friendly cleaning supplies. Lysol all the way for Hanta Virus.