
A few years ago I saw The Lion King musical on Broadway when I went to NYC with Kolby. I was blown away by it. Within the first 60 seconds I was crying my eyes out and had goosebumps all over from the sheer beauty of it. Madeline was four at the time, and loved to pretend to be an animal and move her body just like that animal. Through the entire play, I wished she was with me because she would have been amazed by it. I vowed to take her to see The Lion King if it ever came to our city.
Last night we took the kids to to the Paramount Theater in Seattle to see it. They loved it. The costumes in this play are so incredible, and the way the actors move to make the costumes work--I can't accurately describe it. The actors who were giraffes walked with stilts on both their hands and their feet, and then still had to move the way a giraffe moves. Just amazing. And it wasn't lost on the kids.
One of the things I couldn't stop thinking about was that all those people on stage were doing their jobs. The guy who designed all of the animals lives in Scappoose, a little town just outside of Portland. That's his job. I think it's the current state of the economy and rising unemployment, but I just couldn't stop thinking how amazing it must be to get paid to do something you love so much.



And we learned something new. Lions do not get new cubs the same way cats get new kittens. They still smile at each other. That part is the same. But instead of hearts between them, a singing baboon produces the new cub. Hmm.

(All photos of the play swiped from the web since there was no photography allowed during the play).

1 comment:
That is so cool. I am glad you got to take the girls. I've seen previews of the play and the comstumes on TV comercials and was amazed then, but I bet actually seeing the play would leave me speechless.
Post a Comment