Saturday, January 24, 2009

Getting personal


A fairly new friend of mine posted 25 things about herself on her Facebook page.  One of those things is that her toilets are always gross, even though the rest of her house is, at any point in time, ready for a magazine photo shoot.  (I don't know her well enough yet to know if this is actually the case.)

My house is never at any time ready for a photo shoot.   If there actually were photo shoots for toilets, and I don't know why there would be, my toilets probably wouldn't be ready for them either. 

I just think it's interesting that I can't remember the other 24 things she posted about herself, but the fact that her house is always clean, except for her toilets, has made me feel bad about myself for three days now. 

And yet not so bad that I'm actually motivated to keep my house photo shoot ready.

I wonder what that's about.

There's this woman who comes to my "Extreme Workout" class at the gym.  She just stands motionless whenever the instructor isn't looking, but then starts working out when the instructor turns in her direction.

Maybe it's the same thing.  Something made that woman feel motivated enough to sign up for the class, but not quite motivated enough to actually exercise in it.  I want my house to look like a magazine cover.  I clean and organize and decorate if someone is coming over.  But when they are gone I'm relieved that my kids can get back to creating artwork in accumulated dust on all flat surfaces while the breakfast dishes pile up in the sink.   

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I wish I felt motivated to keep my house spotless every day. It feels so good when it is but the amount of effort it takes to get it that way to have it only stay that way for a short amount of time is just too much!