Thursday, September 18, 2008

Things to do with 27 hours to myself every week


In an effort to avoid filling up my allotment of Me Time with hours of VH1 every day, I'm making a list of things I've wanted to do over the last eight years but haven't had time for.  That way, when you call me (and you will!) and hear "Stupidest Celebrity Moments" in the background (you might), you can remind me of the much more rewarding items on my list that I should be enjoying.  

In no particular order:
  • Get a season ski pass and ski at least once a week
  • Yoga
  • Train for another half marathon 
  • Learn to kayak
  • Take bass guitar lessons
  • Catch up on "Simpsons" and "Arrested Development" while I fold laundry
  • Read The Economist magazine weekly
  • Find some rewarding volunteer work 
  • Cook and bake more
  • Learn to play tennis and golf (we have both in our neighborhood!)
This all goes back to creating a "bigger smaller life."   Things have been so crazy and complicated and busy for the last few years.  The move hit the reset button.   I know if I get into nursing school next year, things will get crazy again.  But this year, I'm on sabbatical.  I have some control over what fills up my schedule at this point, so I'm going to choose wisely.  

In the past, I've always volunteered in the girls' classrooms.  And here's a horrible confession:  I've always hated it.  So I'm not doing it this year.  I've done it for five years, hated it for five years.  Enough.  I'll do classroom parties and field trips, and I'll do some committees so I can meet other parents and help us settle in.  But that's it.  

However, I am going to find some volunteer work that feeds me.  Right now I'm considering two options:  the Ronald McDonald House, and hospice.  I'm filling out applications for both, so we'll see where I end up.

And the other stuff, it's mostly me finding me again, remembering what I enjoy doing now that I don't have to figure in the cost of a babysitter and I have a little free time.   

Now go away so I can finish this episode of "My Super Sweet Sixteen" before the kids get home.


1 comment:

Jodi said...

vH1 is a horrible waste of time; you should be spending your time watching TLC - it's so much more fulfilling. And I didn't notice, "Take a Ballet Class" on your list of things to do. Did you just forget that one because you figured we would all just assume?