Whenever we stay with the Sanders in Portland, Madeline wears one of Emma's gorgeous dresses just because, "Yeah, whatever, we're just kind of messin' around and I put this on because it looked comfortable and then I didn't feel like changing." And then she wears it the rest of the weekend, acting very disinterested in it, unless you catch her walking by a mirror. It is essential that we act just as nonchalant, other than a very casual "You look very pretty in that dress" comment now and then.
So her graduation from elementary is coming up and I suggested going dress shopping. Her immediate reaction was, "Awwwwww. I have to wear a dress?!"
I played it cool. "No, of course not. But I thought you might like a dress like one of Emma's to wear since it's your graduation and all. What do you think?"
I played it cool. "No, of course not. But I thought you might like a dress like one of Emma's to wear since it's your graduation and all. What do you think?"
She played it cool right back. "Yeah, I guess that'd be alright."
And about 12 seconds later, "I think I'd probably need new shoes too."
So yesterday we had a girl day with a little dress and shoe shopping (forgive my terrible photos. I love everything about my phone except the camera.):
Followed by lunch at the Nordstrom cafe for our favorite tomato soup.

And dessert of course, because no shopping trip is complete without chocolate.
I had such a fantastic time hanging out with Maddie for the day. It's fun to see her growing up, having opinions and preferences, and feeling a little girly. I mean comfortable. These dresses were not girly dresses. They were comfortable dresses.






4 comments:
OH my word!! She looks so grown up! And You didn't say, did she pick a dress? love you tons.
That's what I want to know? Were any of those the winner?
me too! which one?
she's so beautiful! Oh, I mean comfortable... ;)
What? She's graduating from elementary? This is crazy!
She looks so beautiful in the dresses but I love how nonchalant she is. I also am wondering which was the winner!
Post a Comment