Thursday, January 27, 2011

When I grow up. In June.

I've really enjoyed the last 18 months in nursing school, but it hasn't been until this quarter that I've really been giddy with excitement about what I am learning and doing. This quarter is mother/baby and pediatrics. I knew I would enjoy it, but I didn't really think I wanted to go into either area of nursing. (Don't ask me why--I thought I had my reasons but it took about a week of lectures to realize those reasons were ridiculous.) My clinical rotation at Seattle Children's hospital has been my favorite rotation so far, and it only partly has to do with the 3 week-old patient I had my first week. I enjoyed caring for the 17 year-old every bit as much as the newborn. Kids are fun. They are much cooler patients than grumpy adults. And they'll agree to just about anything for the right color of popsicle.

I still have my labor and delivery/NICU/mother-baby rotation to do, but I am feeling happy to know that I want to go into either pediatrics or maternal health when I graduate in June.

But here's the kicker: if I want to do pediatrics, I'm going to have to keep going to school. And as much as I loved pediatrics, every time I've tried to get myself to fill out the application for University of Washington's RN to BSN program, I feel like barfing. I cannot bear the thought of another five quarters of school right now. Ugh. See I just barfed a little typing that up.

Anyway, that's what's been going on around here. I've had a very crazy schedule this month, and I'm looking forward to a much calmer February. I hope I can be nicer in February, because guess what? I'm not very much fun to be around when I'm busy and stressed out. I don't even like my company. Date night tomorrow night, so maybe Nice Jami will show up. (And I just need to reread this paragraph to know that another 18 months of school should not be up for consideration right now!)

No comments: