Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Persistence

Every time I attempt to get everybody doing what they should so I'm not the "somebody" who does it all, I think of my mom and the thousands of notes she left around the house over the course of my childhood (i.e. "Laundry fairies do not exist" and "I am not the dish fairy"--I think dish fairies do exist, we just didn't have one.), and the many other strategies and reward systems she used to try to get us to keep our rooms cleaned and pick up our crap.

And every time I attempt a new strategy, despite what I know to be true from watching my mom raise six kids, I am convinced that this will be the technique that works. Forever. My children will be clean, organized, responsible children for the rest of their lives because of this one amazing technique.

So here it is. This month's attempt at creating clean, organized, responsible children before I go back to school next week.



If this doesn't work, I'm going to give the angry fairy notes a try.
(And congratulations to my mom--she won a blue ribbon at the state fair for one of her quilts!)

5 comments:

The Circus said...

Oh man! I hear it on the six kids! My current technique is not asking cas if she got the kitchen counter done (over the phone while at work) and then her telling me yes, only to discover when I get home that it's more of an I don't think so honey try again, but asking brynn, so how does the counter look to you? Oh really? Ok now I know what to peg cas on. LOL I've also taped little cards in every room. If the almighty chart tells them to take care of that room, then the little card tells them "if you haven't done all of this, then think again, you're not done". Let me know how this system works for you! It's a frustration for me to try and do this over the phone!

Blackhamster said...

I know you probably didn't mean to do this, but i just realized that i probably tend to believe in fairies myself. the laundry fairy. the bed-making fairy. the bill paying fairy. the dinner fairy.

at some point i'm going to need to pitch in and do something.

(don't want to piss of the fairies)

Michelle said...

I like that you have "flush toilet" as a chore. And I know that was on purpose from your "if it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down." Even for my oldest child (um, Zach) I have to spell out those little things (e.i. flush the toilet) or it doesn't get done. :)

Courtney said...

We are on job chart attempt #2 and I am, in fact, using one of my moms job charts she used for us! lol. The things we do. It's working for now!

Marie said...

HAH! Kids never grow up! Ihave a note on the microwave that says ...
"Cover it,or CLEAN IT!"
Man, that is almost as gross as kitty feather all over your house, food guts splattered all over the inside of the microwave. And thanks on the quilt congrats. love mom... and you turned out really good without fairies to do your work.