Sunday, July 25, 2010

That's my daughter in the water

Today marked the end of swim/dive team season for the girls. I don't know if I mentioned already that Madeline put her foot down and refused to do swim team this year. She just had no interest in swimming fast. Who wants to do that? Puh-lease and Whatever with an eyeroll.

Amelia wants to do that. That's who. Want to know why? Because there are rules, and friends, permanent markers, and snack bars. What could be more fun?
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I mistakenly sent the girls to an unfamiliar snack bar with $5 without clear instructions for spending that $5. Usually they buy Cup-O-Noodles and a baked potato, so I assumed that's what they would come back with. But this was a different snack bar. A better snack bar. A snack bar that sold cotton candy and Skittles. They were so pleased with themselves for buying "dinner." (You can see the distress in Amelia's face in this photo. She is truly my child--she was so upset that she'd misspent the money, she could barely enjoy her treats. Madeline, however, prefers the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" philosophy, as evidenced by the phoney "OMG, Skittles aren't actually fruit?" look on her face.)

While swim team, beyond the snack bar, was not her thing, Madeline did show some interest in diving. Since she's all about mimicking form and movement, and diving actually values taking your time to perfect that movement and form, we figured diving would be a good fit for her. It was. She absolutely loved it. Our pool doesn't have a diving board, so she dived on another team about 10 minutes from our neighborhood. (This made my life a little hectic since her practices were at the same time as Amelia's--I learned that fancy "being two places at once" trick.)
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Kolby and I thoroughly enjoyed watching our girls compete this season in activities they love, but I am soooooo happy to be done shuttling kids to 5x a week practices and packing up meals for weekly swim and dive meets.

Looking forward to drinking my coffee in my p.j.'s tomorrow morning to celebrate the first day of summer with no practices!

No comments: