Friday, April 16, 2010

Marine Science School

A couple weeks ago I went on a field trip with Madeline's class on a boat in the Puget Sound for Marine Science School.


This was HEAVEN for Madeline. We caught plankton and identified them under a microscope and then got to see them on a big screen.


We learned about our resident Orca whale population and things that we can do to help save them. (It's all about watershed. Pesticides, motor oil, bacteria from dog poop, they all end up in the Sound and kill either the fish or the whales or both.)

They sent down a diver with a camera while we watched on big screen TVs as she identified various forms of sea life. And then she put the sea life in bags and brought them up to the boat where the kids were able to touch them and learn about them up close before they set them free again.







I half expected Maddie to rub that sea star all over her face. I've seen her do it with less attractive creatures.

And I was able to enjoy the day with my stylish Wonder Woman Sea Bands.


3 comments:

JenB said...

Very cool field trip! Looked better than Sea World.

I've never been one to get motion sickness ... until that time on a fishing boat ... hope the arm bands protected you!

I like the new photo header too :)

Michelle said...

Much cooler than Tracy Aviary! And I love the paint color on your walls. Good choice!

Jodi said...

I can't ever tell you how cool that field trip sounds. I am so sad my boys won't ever get to do anything like that.