Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tie-dyed cake

We had Amelia's birthday party this weekend, which I will post about tomorrow.  But today, the cake.  Because it was a glorious cake.  Almost more fun to make than to eat.  I can't take credit for it--I stumbled across it on a blog a couple of weeks ago, right down to using Skittles as decorations. But it was so much fun to see the kids' faces when we cut into it with all its rainbow glory.

Start out with a plain white cake mix (we used two) and a goofy six-year-old face. 

Color batter with concentrated gel food coloring.

Pour into 9" pans in concentric circles 
Leftovers for tie-dyed cupcakes
How pretty is that?  Makes doing the dishes not so bad.
I had leftover dipped candles from Madeline's birthday party last year (thanks Joanne!), but I only had five.  And Amelia is six.  So at the last minute (after the photos) we stuck in a plain white sixth candle for her to blow out.
  
Most of the kids thought they wanted cupcakes until I cut the first piece of cake.  Then they were hit by the rainbow explosion and the cake became far more popular.  

Kolby says they'll all be pooping rainbows today.  But girls do that anyway.  Rainbows and butterflies.

8 comments:

Antonio said...

That cake is psychedelic. Eating rainbows and pooping butterflies, gotta love Kate from Horton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odhw5SLYYdY&feature=player_embedded

Jodi said...

I looooove it. Strider does too.

The beach IS real life said...

Happy Cake! We had a young woman at the pharmacy that used to make a cake like this. She called it "Happy Cake" because it makes you smile when you cut into it. Yours is incredibly beautiful and happy! Happy Birthday Amelia!

Michelle said...

I may have to do this for Caid's birthday! So stinking cute!

Nan said...

That looks like a very fun cake, Austin's birthday is coming up soon so, thanks for the COOL MOM points I am going to score!

Courtney said...

That is an awesome cake! how cool and fun! And Mia is six already? Seriously? I'm getting old!

nickyfish said...

Thanks for the great cake idea! My kids will very impressed.

darcie said...

Awesome cake! Happy late birthday to Amelia! I love your 6 things about her, she sounds so sweet! I wish that we still lived close, especially when I see your pictures of Seattle, you guys are lucky ducks!