Monday, November 10, 2008

We've come a long way, Baby.

I am proud of us.  I believe that Barack Obama was elected not because of the color of his skin, but because Americans have faith that he will be a good leader.   This was a tough election.  Our country is fighting two wars.  We are facing the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.  We have people losing their homes daily.  Unemployment is escalating.  Many families have to choose between buying groceries or buying antibiotics.  It's a daunting task for any leader to take on.  We had two great candidates, and I really believe they both would have done a fine job.  They are good men.  Americans really searched within themselves this election to determine what mattered  and vote for the candidate they felt best represented the issues important to them, rather than just voting down party lines.  That in itself is huge--that we as citizens of the United States really honored the privilege and responsibility of voting.   And for that, I'm proud of us.  We showed up in record numbers.  We showed that we as a country care

The fact that our country has progressed to the point where we could elect a black man, that many Americans looked within themselves and faced the ugly remains of racism in their hearts, and decided that color doesn't matter, it still moves me to tears.    I am overwhelmed by emotions when I see this photo.   It makes me proud that we have come this far.  That this is the country my children will grow up knowing.

The Obama family on election night; credit: David Katz/Obama for America

Just fifty years ago a hospital could turn away a dying black child because of the color of his skin.  Fifty years ago we had separate bathrooms and drinking fountains for blacks and whites. Fifty years ago blacks had to ride in the back of the bus.  They had to sleep in their cars when weary from traveling because they couldn't find a motel that allowed them.  In some states they were prevented from voting.  And horrible atrocities against them were overlooked, and sometimes even perpetrated by law enforcement.  But today we are brothers and sisters.

For me, since Tuesday, not much has changed.   Although I am proud of our country for coming so far, the world still looks the same to me.  But for those little children living in the projects on the Southside of Chicago or New York, they have new hope today.   This  American Dream, this belief in equal opportunity for all, this belief that we can be anything, achieve anything, that the sky's the limit.  Now these kids can see it.  The sky is is not just the limit for white kids, the sky is the limit for all kids.    

I heard this Cat Stevens song while driving to school on Election Day.  Hearing it, I was overwhelmed by feelings of hope for our country.    

"Oh, I've been smiling lately,
dreaming about the world as one
And I believe it could be,
Some day it's going to come."


1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Nice post. I, too, think it is wonderful, that race wasn't a huge factor in this. It seems strange that it was only 50 years ago, that color of skin was judged so harshly

I am glad for those that lived through the civil rights movement, that they got to see Obama up on stage with his family, accepting the presidency.

I thought the image of Jesse Jackson crying, was moving.

Peace Train is such a great song! I love Cat Stevens.....