I always hated tomato soup when the only tomato soup I'd ever had was Campbell's. Then about 10 years ago I discovered the chunky tomato soup at The Soup Kitchen in Sugarhouse, and have been making homemade tomato soup ever since.
There is a delicatessen I loved in Portland called Elephants Deli. They have so many tasty treats there, but one of their yummiest is their orange tomato soup. And I just found the recipe! I made it tonight and the girls said this one is "The Best Thing Ever!" Serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches on sourdough. (Kolby wasn't home tonight, but all tomato soup makes him gag, so he doesn't get to vote.) Don't get scared off by the orange juice. It is not overpowering at all. Just makes it crazy good.
Enjoy! (And if you've never tried anything but canned Campbell's, you should really try this one).
Elephant Deli Tomato Orange Soup
1/4 cup butter (this is half what the original recipe called for)
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 15oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon of fresh
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup of heavy cream *
In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add diced onion and saute until translucent. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, baking soda, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Puree in a food processor or blender. (I use my Braun hand blender, and do it right in the pan, and I leave a few chunks.) Return to pan and stir in the orange juice. Heat thru. Stir in cream. Serve.
*The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of cream, which I used this time, but it was a little creamier than necessary, in my opinion. I'll use half that next time. However, don't substitute with lower fat options like half and half or milk. They separate and give it a weird texture, and you'll have to use a lot more to get a good color. 1/4 cup of full fat stuff should give you a perfectly creamy soup.
1 comment:
MMMMMMmmmmm....Can't wait to try this!
Post a Comment