Friday, October 10, 2008

Things I miss


1.  Friends.  We especially feel this loss on the weekends.    We miss all the BBQs and Sunday dinners and spontaneous nights hanging out.  It is really nice to have Burlingames here so we aren't totally on our own.

3.  Neighbors.   There are no school age kids on our immediate block, which is a huge bummer after moving away from the Browns and Wissmillers.  It was so nice being able to depend on each other for little things and nice to have the kids running back and forth all the time.

3.  Hardwood floors.  Gabby was barfing this week, and I sorely miss my hardwoods which made all manner of dog and kid messes easy to clean up.  

4.  New Seasons Market.  Another thing I totally took for granted, having New Seasons down the street.  (Kolby hated that store, but that's his issues, not mine.)   The closest comparable is PCC Market, which I haven't been to yet because it requires a drive into Kirkland.  I do love that Trader Joe's is the closest grocery to us.   But I still miss New Seasons and all it's locally grown yumminess and hometown feel, and that it was .5 mile from my house.    

5. The city and neighborhoods.  Is that broad enough?  I miss downtown Portland in general, and all the close-in neighborhoods with distinct personalities.  We loved NW23rd, Mississippi, Hawthorne, Alberta, Belmont.  We had our favorite restaurants and shops in each.  I loved people watching, and I loved the people in Portland.  I know that Seattle has similar neighborhoods, and we've started exploring them, but they aren't familiar to us yet.

Obviously, there's more.  But these are the things I've been missing this week.

No comments: