Wednesday, October 29, 2008

New Recipe

Last night we had such a yummy dinner.  I got a recipe for Feta Chicken from a friend (she got it from Cooking Light, which means you need to use more butter, olive oil, and salt than the recipe calls for).  And I winged it for the rice and veggie side dish and it turned out great.  Rave reviews from all four of us.  The girls almost never eat meat, but they loved the chicken.  They even at the spinach salad.  

So this is the chicken recipe, but I didn't really measure anything.  I'm sure I used more butter and  feta than the recipe called for.  

Feta-Stuffed Chicken
4 skinned, boned chicken breast halves
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese with basil and tomato
1 1/2 teaspoons of butter, melted  (Seriously? How do you measure that little butter?)
3 cups torn spinach
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. olive oil (again...seriously?)
1/8 tsp pepper

Pound the chicken to 1/4 inch thickness.  Dredge in butter and then breadcrumbs.  Spoon feta onto one half of each chicken breast, then fold the breast in half.

Place halves in a baking dish, and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until chicken is done.  

Combine spinach and basil in a bowl.  Add balsamic and olive oil, sprinkle with pepper, and toss to coat.    Serve chicken over salad.


Brown rice with zucchini and carrots
1 1/2 cups brown rice, cooked according to package directions, substituting water for chicken broth.
2 small zucchini, shredded
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
lemon
feta

While rice is cooking, saute the shredded vegetables and garlic in the olive oil and butter for about 5 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste.  When rice is done, add to vegetable mixture in the pan, and mix together.  Add a squeeze of lemon.   And since the feta was sitting there on the counter, I threw in some of that too.  Wise choice.

I just ate the leftovers for lunch, and it might have been better than last night.

3 comments:

The beach IS real life said...

Jami, I love your blog! I love the pictures and the colors and hearing all about your family. Makes the distance not seem so great! Thanks for the recipe-I used to cook a lot but not anymore. Dinner for me tonight consisted of chips, salsa and cream puffs. Pathetic. I know you're jealous of me-as are your children! RaeJean

Doney Days said...

JAMI!!! This Heather from Paramount Title. How are you? I found your blog from Clay and Courtney's. I hope it's ok if I add you to my friend list. You're welcome to check out our blog www.doneyfam.blogspot.com Your girls are beautiful! Hope all is well.

Michelle said...

how would it be without bread crumbs? i'm always looking for new dinner ideas.