Monday, September 5, 2011

Clinging

School starts tomorrow.

I know I should be thrilled, and the part of my brain that craves organization is ready for the girls to be back in school. I look around my house and see messes and clutter and projects that need to be done, and as I make lists I'm happy that life will settle back into a schedule so I can do it all.

But the rest of my brain? Totally mourning the end of summer.



I love the lazy mornings with my girls. I love the summer activities. I love days when the toughest decision we have to make is whether to go to the pool or the lake. I like eating dinner on the deck and sleeping with the windows open. I adore evenings with no homework. I like not having to think about making lunch until it's actually lunch time. I like the constant stream of suntanned kids through my house requesting popsicles and snacks. I love having friends up from Portland and going back to Utah and Oregon for vacations. I love the pool and the parks and the lakes and the sunshine and the smell of sunscreen. And I really like having the girls home.

I am not ready for school to start.

(But my house is.)

Today the plan is to squeeze as much fun as we can from the last day. Possibly some golf. And definitely the pool. And probably some kayaking as well. Did I mention I'm having a hard time letting go of summer?

No comments: