Sunday, June 12, 2011

Shut your pie-hole.

A couple weeks ago the girls were raving about our friend Milo's pies to a friend, claiming that his pies are the best in the whole world, especially his berry pie. Well, I let it slip that Milo taught me how to make pie, which at first elicited squeals and cheers, but then accusations that I've been holding out quickly followed since neither Madeline nor Amelia could remember me ever making a pie. Which is understandable because I'm pretty sure it's been at least five years since I have. (I love this old picture of Milo teaching a bunch of swim-suit clad baby girls how to make pies at our house in Portland--I think this was 2005).
To redeem myself, I promised to make a pie a week this summer.

We'll see how long this lasts.

Last weekend we were headed to a barbeque at Milo's, so we made a couple of pies to take to his house. First we made a strawberry rhubarb pie:





And then we made a banana cream pie. It was my first attempt at baking a pie shell without filling. It did not go well. Pretty much a pie blob, but once I layered it with chocolate, banana cream pie filling, and whipping cream, it was presentable.

I have to say, that strawberry rhubarb pie was the best pie I've ever made. Not quite as good as Milo's, but not too shabby either. My pie-hole did not complain. I'm sure it was my fantastic assistant pie makers that made the difference.

This week I got lazy. Mint Moosetracks Pie with an Oreo crust.
I've decided I need to invest in some mini-pie tins because leftover pie will not do at all. One piece of pie per week is sustainable. One piece of pie per night is a very bad thing...

1 comment:

JenB said...

My grandma was a great pie maker. She did teach me and my sister once, but I never mastered a nice flakey crust.

Gray will sometimes bring home a chocolate pie from Marie Calendars ... I generally eat it all over the course of a few days.

I'm not one for fruit pies, but your ice cream one looks yummy!