Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sound of Music

I grew up in a home filled with music. I remember having musical debates on the way home from Primary back when Primary was on Wednesdays. And if any of you went to Primary (Mormon sunday school) during the week, you know how very long ago that was. I must have been about five years old, defending the merits of The Oakridge Boys and Alabama against my brother's attacks. At the mature age of 7 he was moving beyond my parents' influence and exploring some Neil Diamond and Queen ("Another one rides the bus bites the dust"). All this as we walked unsupervised through the field on our way home (the fields where attempted kidnappings and actual murders had occurred.)

There were lots of grasshoppers in that field. And pollywogs. Maybe the benefits of grasshoppers and pollywogs outweighed the threats of kidnapping and murder.

Anyway, there was always music playing in my house. Before school, after school, my mom had music playing on the radio or 8-track/cassette tape/CD player, and it was always on in the car. My earliest recognition that this was not the case in every home was when I was about seven and I noticed how quiet my friends' houses were (other than the deluge of children's voices).

And so it is at our house now. I love music. In my next life I will be a singer or a dancer or a musician or maybe if I'm really good, all of the above, so I can do more than just listen to it.

This month has been absolute heaven for me, with the arrival of three fantastic new albums.

First I discovered this band, who I am LOVING:


Then two of my top five bands released new albums I've been anxiously waiting for, which makes me just want to shut myself in my bedroom so I can turn the music up loud, and lay on my bed marinating in the sound like I did when I was thirteen years old.












And also, one of my best friends is in the finals for the Lilith Fair local talent competition in Portland, and I am beyond thrilled for her. You can listen to her song and vote for her here.




2 comments:

Jodi said...

Ummm, I'm pretty sure music was always on so mom could drown out the noise six children make...especially in the car. Haven't you noticed they rarely have music playing anymore? It's because there's no need. Now they blissfully enjoy the sound of silence. I, however, am with you. Music is just supposed to be on. Always.

Antonio said...

Hot hot musicians!