Yesterday I talked to the mortgage company about our house hunting progress.
Right after that I called Roto-Rooter to fix a clogged kitchen drain.
That "clogged drain," like most home repairs, turned into much much more. I just wrote a check for $4600 to Roto-Rooter to replace what turned out to be a cracked sewer line caused by a sinking foundation. Luckily, my landlords are mailing me a reimbursement check today.
I'm just wondering why on earth we are looking to buy a house? Do you know that we've paid $1000 LESS per month to rent this house than we would if we had bought it? Do you know that the landlords have paid $8000 in home repairs on this house since we've lived in it? And the house has depreciated in value AT LEAST $100,000 since we moved in? That means we've saved $126,000 by renting. Okay, with taxes maybe that's more like....$110,000.
That $110k more than makes up for the weird sea-foam green carpet I've had to live with as a renter.
Tell me again why home ownership is so important?
No comments:
Post a Comment