Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thankful

On the drive home from the Oregon Coast today, I asked everyone to tell me their 3 favorite things from our Thanksgiving weekend at the beach. We all agreed on the favorites, and also agreed that it was impossible to narrow it down to just three things.

Here's the list, with a few photos. We have much to be thankful for, and this weekend is no exception.

1. Playing tag with the waves. This was wildly exciting, and even more so when we were doing it last night in the dark and a huge wave came in and knocked Emma and then Madeline down. The girls were soaked head to toe, Kolby and I soaked up to our waists from fishing them out, but everyone was still laughing. Lily demanded soggy Cartwheels of Joy from everyone before we could return to the house to warm up.

2. Swing Dancing on Thanksgiving. After the dishes were done, the pie polished off, and the food digested, Milo and Robin started the dance party. It was a ton of fun, and I'm determined to get Kolby and I some swing dancing lessons, especially since this was a high point for both girls.


3. A highlight for Kolby and I were the very sweet toasts Cameron and Jean gave on Thanksgiving. We adore our friends, old and new. I am very thankful for the supportive group of friends we've found in the Northwest over the last 10 years.

4. Cooking with friends is ALWAYS a favorite of mine. My cooking and baking began on Tuesday with the girls at home (we made stuffing, cranberries, pumpkin gooey cake, and pumpkin pies), and continued on Thursday at the beach house with friends. I love a crowded busy kitchen. (And the kitchen at the beach house was beautiful!)
The kids even made butter while the adults cooked.


5. The kids loved playing "Wolves and Antelopes" in the beach grass in the backyard. And also night games on the lawn with the dads.

6. The window seat. Oh, how I loved the window seat. Not sure if it was the seat or the view or the windows or what, but it was definitely my favorite spot in the house.


And a few more random pictures from the weekend. We spent an afternoon in Cannon Beach, which always requires a stop at our favorite fish market for fish and chips.


You may mock the Snuggie, but could you read the Beach Bods edition of Star magazine and stay warm at the same time without it? I didn't think so. We even got the Brits to wear them.




And there was plenty of fierce Wii gaming happening. By the end of the weekend, I'm pretty sure there was crying involved.



4 comments:

The Circus said...

Love it. Jealous of it. Can I come visit?

Jeff Sanders said...

It was simply awesome.

Antonio said...

Looks like so much fun! Can't wait to see you guys.

Marie said...

Oh, those fish and chips made my mouth water and me yearning for a trip to Cannon Beach.